TUEURS DE FEUX A MARACAIBO
Real. Cornel Wilde
Mus. Laurindo Almeida
1. The Lady Exposed – Guitar Solo
2. Montage #2 : Night Life in Maracaibo – Guitar Solo with Latin Combo
3. Ave Maria – Guitar Solo (Schubert)
4. Maracaibo Moon – Rhumba, Latin Combo
5. Detonation – Two Guitars with Percussion
6. True Confessions – Guitar Solo
7. Finale and End Title – Guitar Solo
Notes Back Cover
Early in my preparation of the production of "Maracaibo", I began thinking about the kind of music the picture should have. Since the movie had a Latin-American background, Venezuela, with its fabulous cities of Caracas, Maracaibo, and the beach resort of Laguna at Macuto, I was determined from the outset to use the guitar as the principal musical instrument. I contacted Laurindo Almeida, who is not only one of the finest guitarists in the world, but also a gifted composer and arranger.
Almeida was immediately enthusiastic about the whole project. He suggested that in many portions of the score we should have two and three guitars, and, as a result, we used very few instruments aside from the guitar; accordion, bass, trumpet, piano and drums. With these in various combinations, amazing effects were achieved in a score requiring enormous range of mood.